Thursday, February 16, 2012

Veggie of the week - Beets

I know, I know.  Many of you think beets and automatically say "yuk".  Believe me the vision of pickled beets is not where I am going with this post.  I say "yuk" to those too!  I am talking about raw beets and maybe even beet chocolate cake!  For those of you that have taken up juicing, first off let me say how PROUD  I am that you started this new path to wellness and longevity!  Way to go with your healthy self!  If you are juicing, try adding a beet to your juice.  I assure you, it is yummy.  Be sure to peel your beet and wash it well. Be warned, your hands will turn a crimson color.   If the green tops of your beets are vibrant and healthy looking, wash them and add them also.  Your juice will be a beautiful pinkish, red color. Does the color remind you of something?  It kind of looks like blood.  The term "doctrine of signatures" helps us to understand that the shapes and colors of foods are indicators of the parts of our bodies that they help.  Beets are good blood purifiers.  See how that works?
 And now for all the benefits you are getting from these little beauties:
Beets belong to the same family as my two other favorite veggies, Spinach and Swiss Chard.  Beets are high in antioxidants.  They have anti-inflammatory properties and are great for detoxing.  Beets are a good source of iron.  The antioxidants aid as a cancer fighter.  Beets help to keep your arteries clean.  The vitamin C helps to keep your immune system strong.  The list for beets is quite impressive which is why I add to my juice on a regular basis.
What if I'm not juicing?
Try slicing the beet in thin strips and add it to your salad.  Beets can also be roasted or sauteed. 
Beet juice is also a great dye for Easter eggs.

What about the chocolate cake you mentioned?  Let's get to the good stuff.
I have not tried this yet but definitely have it on my list.  This recipe comes from Green Smoothie Girl.
Chocolate Beet Cake
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups Sucanat
  • 3/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 3/4 cups steamed beets(about 2 medium-large peeled)
  • 4 Tbsp baking cocoa or raw chocolate
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Puree steamed beets in your blender.  Add to the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla and mix well.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Bake in a 9x13 oiled pan at 350 for 30 minutes.

Add your favorite frosting or try this one:
Frosting
Cream together:
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup powdered Sucanat
Spread on to the cooled cake.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the nice recipes and info you put on ypour blog Love You Lots Sis.

    ReplyDelete