Monday, January 30, 2012

Veggie of the week - Swiss Chard

Hello Green Veggie Friends,
Sorry I missed veggie of the week last week.  Crazy busy with work and taking a couple of online classes to tap into my creative self. 
This week, we are going to focus on one of my favorite veggies, Swiss Chard.  I love, love, love Swiss Chard.  I put this in my juice everyday.  I have a yummy recipe that I'll share shortly that even those of you who shy away from green things will love.
Why do I love Swiss Chard?
One of the reasons like my good friend Spinach, it is a nutritional powerhouse.  Chard is very beneficial for the bones due to calcium, magnesium and Vitamin K.(Really, I don't have to get all my calcium from milk?)  Chard like many of the other veggies I love is high in antioxidants and is an anti-inflammatory. Chard is a good source of omega 3 and iron.  All of these things help to protect our precious bodies against cancers, cardiovascular disease,  and Alzheimer's disease.  The minerals in Chard keep our immune systems strong.  See why I love it?
My veggie girl gave me this recipe for cooking Swiss Chard and it is so yummy.  Give it a try and let me know what you think. 

Sauteed Chard
  • Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
  • Wash chard and cut diagonally down the chard.  I do the stems too but some people think they are too tough. 
  • Once your onions and garlic are golden brown add the chopped chard and saute together just until your chard begins to wilt. 
  • I like to add some fresh ground pepper and a few red pepper flakes too.
  • Toss in with some whole wheat pasta, brown rice or simply just add to your meal as a side dish. 
  • Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting Yummy Recipes Love You Sis.

    ReplyDelete