Saturday, April 2, 2011

Catnip

This week I had one of those days where my last nerve felt like it had been stepped on with stiletto's and I was a frazzled mess. I needed something that would really relax me and help me get some much needed sleep.  I remembered my two beautiful patches of catnip that I have growing in containers. 
Wait...isn't that the thing that makes my cat go CRAZY?
Yes, catnip does have a stimulating effect on some of our feline friends.  But for us humans, catnip is a very calming herb.
 Catnip has many wonderful benefits.  One of which is the promotion of relaxation and sleep(so no driving after you enjoy a cup of tea).  It is a good one for stress.   Catnip also alleviates pain due to stomach and menstrual cramps.  It is also good for headaches and digestive issues such as indigestion and diarrhea.  It can even be used to reduce fevers and good for treating colds and flu.
Catnip is a member of the mint family.  You can see the family resemblance in the pictures below.

Here is the recipe for my tea.
This was a beautiful cup of tea. I immediately felt calmer and less tense after drinking it.  Just the act of making the tea was therapeutic in itself. 

Catnip Relaxation Tea
  • Snip a few fresh leaves from your catnip plant.
  • 1 teaspoon of lavender flowers.
  • 1 "Relax" tea bag( I had a Tazo Relax blend in my tea cabinet).
  • Boil water and remove from boil and let sit off the burner for 5 minutes.
  • Pour water over herbs and tea bag.
  • Let steep for at least 10 minutes.
  • Strain off herb and remove tea bag.
  • Pour into your favorite tea cup or mug.
  • Add honey to taste.
  • You can also combine this with chamomile.
Enjoy the calming effects of the tea and instantly feel better.  Cozy up in your P.J's and get ready for a good night's sleep.
I hope you'll stop off at your nursery tomorrow and pick up some organic catnip for your spring garden.  We could all use a little relaxation these days.
Garden Blessings to you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment