Monday, January 10, 2011

The Warming Comforts of Ginger

As temperatures drop and snow blankets most of the United States, we all could use a little warming up.  Did you know that you can find just the thing in the produce section of most local grocery stores?  One of my favorite winter herbs is Ginger.   Ginger has cured me of the flu and also helps me when I am chilled and just can't seem to get warm. Ginger is very good for nausea and motion sickness.  Ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties so it is good for arthritis or tired joints.  I even use a bit of Ginger when I juice.  We've made Ginger-Ale using fresh ginger and lemons.  Yummy!  I want to try making crystallized ginger to have on hand for a quick remedy but have not tried that yet. 


Here is my favorite recipe for Ginger Tea for colds and flu:

  • Chop about 2 inches of Ginger and place in an infuser teapot or mason jar. 
  • Pour 4 cups of boiling water over chopped ginger
  • Let steep for about 20 minutes to draw out many of the healing properties
  • Add the following to your taste:
    • Juice from a fresh squeezed lemon
    • Honey
  • If you are fighting the flu or a cold, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
  • Drink every couple of hours.
If you just want to enjoy a cup of Ginger tea to warm you up, you can eliminate the cayenne.
There are lots of varieties of Ginger Tea recipes available.  Just Google Ginger Tea and you'll be amazed!
Off to make me some now!

2 comments:

  1. I love it.Its Great!!!And I love you Sister.Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go girl! Love the Blog. Keep it up!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete